What is a Master’s Degree?
A Master’s degree is much more than a piece of paper and additional student loans; it’s a tool that can help you advance personally and professionally. For many careers, a Master’s degree is necessary for promotions, career advancement, and higher compensation.
A Master’s degree is the perfect degree for someone who earned a Bachelor’s degree in one subject, and now wants to change careers or become more specialized.
Master’s degree programs typically last 2 years. You must have a Bachelor’s degree to pursue a Master’s degree, but they don’t have to be in the same subject. While Bachelor’s degree programs often include some general subject classes, a Master’s Degree program will focus exclusively on your area of study.
The level of study and analysis will be more intense than undergraduate study, and you will most likely be expected to complete a Master’s thesis or research project before you graduate.
Types of Master’s Degrees Available:
Like a Bachelor’s degree, a Master’s degree can be earned in a wide variety of subjects, from biological anthropology to English. The two most common kinds of Master’s degrees are the Master’s of Science (MS) and the Master’s of Arts (MA).
While most Master’s degree programs fall into one of these two categories, there area also specialized Master’s programs such as a Master’s of Business Administration (MBA), a Master’s of Social Work (MSW), or a Master’s of Fine Arts (MFA).
Featured Master’s Degree Programs:
- Grand Canyon University: Online - Non Military
Argosy University Online: Online
- M. S in Nursing: Acute Care Nurse Practitioner: Adult Gerontology
- M.A. in Autism Spectrum Disorders
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
South University: Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts (B.A.)
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (B.S.)
- MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts Forensic Psychology: Homeland Security Concentration
Jones International University: OnlineArgosy University: Nashville
- Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Nurse Administrator
- Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Nurse Educator
- Master of Arts in Education in Educational Leadership (M.A.Ed.)
- Master of Arts in Education in Higher and Postsecondary Education (M.A.Ed.)
- Master of Arts in Education in Instructional Leadership (M.A.Ed.)
- Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling (M.A.)
Questions to ask about a Master’s Degree:
- How will a Master’s Degree help my personal and professional growth?
- I’m making a career change. Which Master’s degree is right for me?
- Am I prepared for 2 to 3 years of intensive study and a major research project?
Still have more questions? Need to talk with one of our college experts? Call us at 1-866-305-8525 and we can assist you in your search for schools that offer Master’s degrees.